Sunday, March 25, 2007

300: The review

I'm definitely not a movie guy. I barely go to the movie theatres, but when I do, I like to know that paying the price of the ticket was worth. And I think I have enough criteria to differentiate good films from bad ones.
I just went to the movie theatre today, and this is the very first time that, after watching the film, I'm not sure whether I'm satisfied with what I watched. That's my feeling after watching 300, a movie that recreates somehow a legendary battle between the Spartan army, led by King Leonidas, and the Persians, ruled by Xerxes.
As most historic films these days, 300 is not precisely the most accurate adaptation of the passage. However, the special effects are very good, and the massive Persian army made me remember somehow the trilogy of the Lord of the Rings. For some reason, I find some similarities between the dark forces of Mordor and the Persian army led by Xerxes in the film 300.
A movie that goes from exciting to vulgar in several parts, this film contains very explicit scenes that depict massacres, assassinations and, pretty unnecessarily, sex. If you decide to watch it, be prepared to spend two hours of bloody scenes, accompanied by speeches said with a curious accent that will make you remember Shakespeare's works.
Although I'm not precisely fan of vulgar and extremely violent scenes in movies, I have to admit that I like epic films. Moreover, I'm a fan of ancient Greek history and culture. Maybe that's why I left the movie theatre with a sort of good taste in mouth. Perhaps I wouldn't watch it again, but at least it made me pass two nice hours this evening. And it may have the same effect on you if you watched it as well... to find that out, is up to you!

Photo: Epoch Times

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home